Updating to InVision V7 lets you experience the completely new InVision—built to keep you and your team organized.
Please be sure to carefully review this list before updating to the new InVision, V7.
Preparing for your InVision V7 update
It's important that you're fully aware of some things before deciding to embrace InVision V7, including a few things to prepare and consider before updating from V6 to V7 as well as the differences in available features.
InVision V7 prerequisites
Before updating to InVision V7, please read the following prerequisites and considerations:
- Consolidate all documents before Initial transition: As part of your Enterprise team’s transition to V7, we will move all of your members and company settings.
InVision cannot transfer documents from other accounts to your Enterprise account once we have moved it to V7; therefore, your V6 admin must have all people on the team consolidate their documents—including any from their personal V6 accounts that should have belonged to the Enterprise—prior to migrating your Enterprise to V7.
- Data created in InVision V7 is not backward compatible: After the transition, all of your V6 documents will be accessible on the new V7 platform. If necessary, we are able to move your team back to V6, but please note that any new work created in V7 cannot be moved back to V6.
- Access to documents: All of the prototypes, boards (not applicable to V6 Private Cloud users; see note below), and freehands your team created will be brought over to V7. If you haven't already moved your documents in V6 into a space, we recommend you do this to make finding documents in V7 seamless for your team. After the update, any documents that didn't already belong to a space in V6 will be placed in the Migrated Documents group in V7. This group is invite-only, but by default, anyone who had access to view all documents in V6 will have access to the Migrated Documents group in V7.
Boards will not be brought over to V7 for InVision V6 Private Cloud users. Learn more here.
- IdP-Initiated SSO is not supported in InVision V7: If your company is using IdP-Initiated SSO, you will need to update your IdP configuration to an SP-initiated SSO before updating to V7. Download InVision’s SAML metadata from this URL: https://your_enterprise_subdomain.invisionapp.com/sso/metadata
- Updated Craft: For the best experience, please update to the latest version of Craft prior to the transition.
Planned downtime: The transition will require planned downtime, so keep an eye out for email and in-app reminder messages once your Enterprise is scheduled. The transition requires around 2 hours on average and will be run during off-business hours, which are listed here in EST:
- 10pm - 7am, Monday through Thursday
- 8pm Friday - 8pm Sunday
- 7pm Sunday - 7am Monday
InVision V7 feature availability
Some InVision V6 features are not currently supported in V7 due to low usage:
- Tour Points within comments Now called highlighted comments, this feature has been modified for additional flexibility in V7. You can use highlighted comments as tour guides, plus you can now select colors to establish comment categories that streamline communication.
- Workflow You can now achieve similar results with screen labels in V7.
- Prototype Assets tab You can achieve similar functionality by using Craft to export assets from Sketch so they appear in the Inspect Assets tab. Learn how to download existing assets before or after updating to V7.
- Duplicate boards and freehands
- Starred documents
- Activity (global and document-level)
- Custom branding for Enterprise teams
- Enterprise dashboard
With InVision V7, you can export your prototype as a fully functioning offline prototype, ZIP file, or PDF—though it's not possible to include comments, use landscape orientation, or use password protection when exporting to PDF.
Browser requirements for InVision V7
InVision V7 supports the latest 2 versions of the following browsers:
If you’d like to share any feedback or report any issues with InVision V7, please contact InVision Support. Our team will work directly with you to ensure you have a smooth experience going forward, and your feedback will help us shape the future of the new V7 platform.
What's new in InVision V7
The following are some of the newer features you'll find in V7.
New user roles
New user roles let you provide the right level of visibility to the right people. In V7, we’re introducing two new roles: members and guests.
Enterprise contributor and reviewer roles have been retired in V7; however, the permissions and intended limitations for these roles are still available, and users who had those roles in V6 will simply be assigned a new corresponding role in V7. Learn more.
Groups and Spaces
Available only in V7, groups are document folders that help you group and share designs across your team. They provide the access to work your team needs. You can add any document type to a group, and then create a space within a group to add a layer of organization, providing simple, yet powerful organization for your work.
By default Groups are public to all team members, but now in V7 they can be set it to invite-only giving greater control over who can discover and access these groups—along with the documents within them. As a best practice, we recommend creating groups for each team or squad using InVision.
Groups was previously known as Spaces in InVision V6. Your V6 spaces will still be accessible after the update to V7, but they will be known as groups.
New document permissions let you control who can access your documents. Within the share dialogue, you’ll notice a settings screen for each document. Here you determine who can open the document and which actions they can take.
Quickly access documents, groups, design systems, and people settings via the new sidebar navigation.
Available only in V7, Specs are a new type of InVision document tailored for a specific job—design-to-development collaboration.
You can also inspect screen in a Freehand. Learn more.
Self-serve SSO and SCIM provisioning
If your V6 Enterprise already has SSO set up, those settings will be migrated at the time of your update to V7. If your team runs into sign-in trouble after the update, please reach out to our Support team.
You’ll also still enjoy many of the core capabilities in the current version of InVision (V6), including these InVision staples:
- Craft Sync for sending Sketch and Photoshop designs into InVision instantly
- Prototypes for transforming static designs into clickable prototypes
- Freehand for capturing feedback throughout the product design process
- Boards for telling stories and sharing files
- Inspect for turning prototypes into design specs
- Public share links for making documents viewable to anyone who needs them
This release represents an initial set of capabilities that we’ll be continually adding to and evolving, so please let us know what works well, what doesn’t, and any ideas you may have on how to improve the overall experience.