If you are using Design System Manager (DSM) to build your prototypes in Sketch, you can view DSM data directly in Inspect.
Before you start
Before getting started, there are a few things to be aware of:
- DSM in Inspect is only available for Sketch prototypes synced via Craft Sync. DSM data cannot currently be accessed via Studio prototypes, though we plan to add this functionality in the future.
- To view DSM data in Inspect, you must have access to the DSM organization and library that are referenced. To learn more about DSM permissions, check out this article: Roles and Permissions in DSM
- DSM data in Inspect is only accessible for InVision V6 users on an Enterprise plan. If you're using InVision V7, check out this article instead: InVision V7: DSM in Inspect
Supported data types
The following types of Sketch data are supported with DSM in Inspect:
For layers to have DSM data in Inspect, you must first save that layer as a symbol in Sketch and upload it to your DSM library. If it’s not saved as a symbol, you won’t see the data in Inspect.
If using DSM Enterprise, you can also amplify the value of the DSM and Inspect integration by setting up interactive coded components in DSM. Learn more about DSM Live Components.
Viewing DSM data
When viewing the left-hand layers panel in Inspect, DSM items are denoted with purple text.
To select a layer, click its name in the layers panel, or click the layer on the artboard directly. The right-hand informational panel will then display a DSM section with the relevant data.
To see specific item data—such as layer styles, colors, code, or links—in the DSM web view, click Open.
Switching DSM libraries
If an item is found in multiple DSM libraries, Inspect allows you to access data from each library.
To switch libraries:
- While in Inspect mode, select a DSM item that is found in multiple libraries.
- Navigate to the DSM section of the right-hand information panel.
- Click the Libraries drop-down and select the appropriate library.
You will only see the Libraries drop-down if the item is found in multiple libraries.
The displayed information will change to reflect the chosen library.
To learn more about Inspect, check out the Inspect section (within the InVision Platform section) in our Knowledge Base.