Best tips for User Testing during Covid-19 I’ve had to run some user testing sessions remote now during Covid and its mostly been pretty smooth! But i thought its worth sharing some tips that i’ve learnt along the way.
1. Make sure you have a solid tool set that you are familiar with.
A solid tool set that won’t fail mid interview will make for successful interviews, it will help make them seamless and as effortless for both parties as much as possible. My personal tools of choice are:
- Zoom - for the interview itself. A paid zoom account allows you to make reliable calls, allows you to record the calls, provides a transcript at the end and importantly allows users to control your screen for the test.
- InVision - for the prototype. I use InVision for the prototype. Users use the share link version and I have my admin view of the prototype incase I need to make any quick changes or fixes during or between interviews.
- Google docs - for a discussion guide/notes that I use as a crib sheet to guide the interview.
- Airtable - for not taking, participant details and findings. I could go into the capabilities of Airtable and the advantages but we’d be here a while. Tagging is probably the best feature and makes it stand out above excel/Google sheets as a note taking tool.
- Google sheets - for the report.
Run a pilot interview, this should be pretty standard anyway Make sure you know the software and your set up is ready for the interview(s) so there is no rushing around before and after interviews.
3. Organisation - turns out it’s pretty useful!
Try to be as stringent as possible in terms of organisation. Its likely people are off work and will want to talk for various reasons so try to stick to timings as much as possible leaving yourself plenty of time in between interviews for any over runs. You can then take the time to address anything thats arisen, have a quick debrief with any observers/note takers and then make a bru in time for the next one!
4. Acknowledge the situation
When doing your normal introduction to the interview, take some time to acknowledge the situation. We’re all working from home or at home and we have our lives around us, children noisy dogs and things going on in the background. Reaffirm with the participants that it is ok to take breaks where needed and to not worry about it as we’re all in the same situation.
These have all helped me, feel free to add some of your own!