At any time, you can import from a legacy design system to a new DSM design system.
Note that this process is not a migration of data—it’s a copy. InVision won’t overwrite, edit, or remove your original legacy design system in any way. The new design system will have a new share link, and the legacy design system will maintain its existing share link.
You can complete the import process as many times as you want. You can even import multiple legacy systems into one new design system.
Adding Sketch files to your new design system
Before importing a legacy system to a new design system, the Sketch files associated with your legacy system must be uploaded to the new design system. Learn how to upload Sketch files to a design system.
If you haven’t already saved your legacy design system as a Sketch file, DSM can do this for you automatically. To learn more, check out this article: Exporting Legacy DSM as a Sketch File
Importing a legacy design system
To import a legacy system into a new design system:
- Sign in to the DSM documentation site and open the design system you want to import to.
- Click the settings icon , and then click Import from legacy DSM.
- If the uploaded Sketch libraries are correct, click Continue.
- Select the legacy system and click Continue.
- Review the items that can’t be imported. If you need to make adjustments, do so now and try the import process again later.
For more information on items that commonly can't be imported, check out this article: Why Aren’t Certain Items Imported from Legacy DSM?
- Click Continue.
The import should now be complete.