From time to time, you will need to reorganize your legacy DSM design system. This article covers how to edit, organize, and sync changes to your system.
Editing and organizing categories
For complete control of your legacy DSM design system, you can edit your various category folder names and reorganize your system as needed. You can also add new default categories.
To add a new category:
- Open the legacy DSM plugin and navigate to the left-hand Categories area.
- Click the + Add Folder button.
- Type a name for your category and press Enter.
To rename, delete, or change the sorting options of a category or nested category:
- Open the legacy DSM plugin and select the category or folder in the left-hand navigation panel.
- Click the ••• icon in the upper-right corner, and select Rename, Delete, Sort by Name (the default alphanumeric setting), or Sort Manually.
You can delete any folder you have created, but you cannot delete the Colors, Text Styles, Layer Styles, and Icons folders (even if you have renamed them).
Updating colors, icons, and components
Colors can be updated in DSM if the color is added as a layer style. You can use layer styles for updating colors across a project.
In order to update an element, make the changes, then find the element in the legacy design system and click the + button in the bottom right corner. You will then be presented with the option of updating the element or creating a new one. Updating the element replaces the existing element definition.
Syncing your legacy design system
To update symbols (components in DSM), text styles, and layer styles in your Sketch file, open the legacy DSM plugin and click the sync icon.
For components to update, they must first be defined as symbols in Sketch. To push changes for non-symbol components or other elements, drag and drop each item from your DSM library to your file.
Removing or deleting items
To delete an item from DSM:
- Click the legacy DSM icon .
- Right-click the item, and then click Delete.