InVision is committed to continually improving Studio by resolving bugs and often implementing new features with each release. You'll find our latest Studio release notes below.
Studio Version 0.97.1
- From SVG export and shadow rendering to input fields and menu items, we’ve included over 150 bug fixes and improvements in this release. The result is a more stable, more consistent, and more reliable experience.
Improvements & Bug Fixes
Tools & Shortcuts
- Improved behavior when editing a path: You can now distribute multiple selected points when editing a path.
- Pen and Scissors icon issue: Now you won’t encounter the issue that caused the Pen and Scissors tool icon to continue displaying, even after switching to another tool.
- Undo error issue: After drawing a shape with the pen tool, using the Undo option (in the Edit menu or via the keyboard shortcut, ⌘+Z) to step back to the last point in the path no longer causes an error.
- Improved File menu: You’ll notice that you can now use the File menu to access Preview and Publish options. We also cleaned up the titles and order of items listed in the File menu.
- Unintended scrolling issue: Using the spacebar to pan the canvas no longer scrolls the layers panel.
- Keyboard modifiers: When drawing an artboard, keyboard modifiers for constraining the proportion or changing the origin are now applied as expected.
- Document swatches: You’ll see improved handling of document swatches across separate installations of Studio.
- Improved indication of hierarchy in layers panel: Reordering a layer in a way that would result in the layer being placed outside of an artboard will now display a dashed line in the layers panel to more clearly indicate the change in hierarchy.
- Move to Front and Move to Back shortcuts issue: When selecting a layer from the layers panel, you will no longer run into the issue that would prevent the Move to Front and Move to Back keyboard shortcuts from working.
- Page deletion: You can now delete a page using the Delete key or the Delete action in the Edit menu.
- Color picker issue: When using the color picker and pressing the Tab key to move between the RGB or HSL input fields, you will no longer encounter the issue that prevented Studio from committing any changes made to the previous field.
- Improved handling of menu items: Studio now handles menu items based on the state of the selected layer or overall state of the application.
- Cursor issue: Now you won’t run into the issue that caused the cursor to get stuck using the path icon after the Paste Image as Fill shortcut (CTRL + Option + V) was used editing a path.
- Search layers issue: Using the Search Layers shortcut (CMD + F) while viewing the pages or library panel will no longer jump back to the layers list.
- Grab issue: When drawing a layer shape, you no longer have to press the Spacebar twice to invoke the grab behavior.
- Issue when searching the layers panel: Groups and containers inside a component definition can now be expanded or collapsed when the Layers panel is being filtered by a search term.
- Aligning and distributing layers: Keyboard shortcuts for aligning and distributing layers now work as expected, even when the layers panel is hidden.
- Issue selecting path points: You should no longer experience the issue that prevented you from using the selection net to select path points when grouped with another layer and not inside an artboard.
- Issue with paths not on an artboard: Aligning points on a path that is not on an artboard now works as expected.
Layers & Styling Layers
- Rendering and performance of shadows: You’ll notice major improvements to shadow and inner shadow rendering and performance. We also improved rendering of inner shadows for shapes with borders.
- Files with numerous combined shapes: You should see improved performance when working with files that contain many combined shapes.
- Resizing duplicated combined shapes: The reliability of resizing combined shapes that have been duplicated has been improved.
- Positioning font layers: Modifying the position of a font layer using auto width that contains a missing font will now update its position as expected.
- Issue with paths that aren’t on an artboard: When editing points on a path that isn’t placed on an artboard, the changes are applied as expected.
- Pasting rich text: When pasting rich text between text layers, the rich text now behaves as expected.
- Issue with locked layers and alignment: Locked layers now stay where they are placed, even when included in a selection and any alignment options are used.
- Distributing masked layers: You’ll see better handling of distributing layers when the selection includes masked layers.
- Moving layers without fills or borders: Layers that have no visible fill or border can now be dragged and moved in the editor after being selected from the layers panel.
- Issue changing path point types: You will no longer see the issue that prevented you from changing a path point type after using the ESC key to stop drawing the path.
- Issue reordering children of a combined shape: Reordering multiple child layers of a combined shape now works as expected.
- Corner radius of a path point:
- Deleting the contents of the corner radius input field for a path point now resets it back to zero.
- The corner radius of a path point is no longer capped at 100px.
- Improved accuracy of the color picker: The application now defaults to sRGB for everything.
- Issue moving grouped, unbound shape layers: When moving grouped, unbound shape layers (e.g., a line segment), you will no longer experience the issue that could sometimes cause the layer to move in the opposite direction as intended.
- Improved snapping behavior:
- When editing paths with Smart Guides active, you will notice the snapping behavior has improved.
- When a layer’s original value is a decimal, snapping to grids and columns now works better.
- Improved behavior when pasting an object into an artboard: Now if the position of the pasted object would be out of view, it is pasted into the center of the viewport instead.
- Issue adding or removing child layers with keyboard modifiers: Layers that are children of a component or are not part of an artboard now behave as expected when using keyboard modifiers to add or remove layers from the selection.
- Displaying artboard names when zooming out: Now when zooming out, artboard names are displayed longer before getting truncated or hidden.
- Issues with bounding boxes: You will no longer see the issues that sometimes prevented the bounding box from matching the path, especially if the points had a corner radius, resulting in rendering artifacts and clipping.
- Unintentional shifting of layers: When un-grouping the parent of a deeply nested group, you won’t encounter the issue that would cause the layers to shift unexpectedly.
- New notification style for certain errors: You will notice that we’ve introduced a new toast notification style for non-critical errors, like those related to file import.
- Improved accuracy of X and Y positioning: When multiple layers are selected, you’ll notice an improvement in how Studio displays the X and Y position.
- Issue with scrolling feature: This release corrects an issue that would result in the scrolling feature getting hidden in the inspector for some users.
- Issue with Bézier curve input fields: Updating the values of a Bézier curve using the input fields now works as expected in the motion editor.
- Issue with X, Y, height, and width values: After converting a group to a container and then attempting to undo that change, you will no longer encounter the issue that caused invalid X, Y, height, and width values in the inspector.
- Unit label legibility: You can no longer run into a scenario in which the X or Y values in the inspector could overlap the unit label.
- Issue with certain vertically aligned layers jumping: Now you won’t see the issue that would cause the layers to jump when editing the X value of multiple vertically aligned layers by scrubbing the input label.
- Issue with file operations: Now you won’t encounter the issue that would prevent file operations—such as saving or zooming—when certain input fields or menus were active.
- Unintentionally disabled anchor panel: The anchor panel is no longer disabled for children of a component instance that is not placed on an artboard.
- Issue with editing placement: Trying to move a point at 0,0 using the inspector now works as expected.
Importing & Exporting
- Improved export performance:
- Exporting SVG files: You should notice major improvements to Studio’s SVG export capabilities, including support for the line path type and better handling of opacity, corner radius, and gradient fills.
- Assets that extend their boundaries: You’ll also see improved handling when exporting assets that extend their bounds by shadows or borders.
- Error handling: Studio now more gracefully handles any errors that occur when importing very large Sketch files.
- Accuracy of bitmap exports: You’ll see improved accuracy of bitmap exports when a child of a group is anchored to anything other than top-left, a situation that previously could cause issues.
- Exporting artboards as raster images: When exporting especially large artboards as raster images, you’ll see improved performance.
- Issue with duplicated artboards: Duplicated artboards now retain the Include in Export setting as expected.
- Edit multiple layers at once: Now you can edit matching export options of multiple selected layers at the same time.
- Unintended ability to paste a page into a component definition: Corrected a scenario that could have allowed you to paste an entire page into a component definition.
- Removed unnecessary icons: When editing a master component, you will no longer see the Back and Add Page icons, which were defunct and unnecessary.
- Issue with component instances not updating: You will no longer experience an issue that would prevent component instances from updating after editing or swapping nested components in the component definition.
- Issue with text overrides: Your text overrides on a component instance will now get added to the undo/redo history as expected.
- Issue swapping nested component instances: Swapping component instances that are nested multiple levels deep now behaves as expected.
- Improvement to nested components: You can now include nested components in groups created in a component definition.
- Issue with detaching a component instance: Detaching a component from its definition no longer results in unexpected layer positioning when the child layers are constrained to something other than the top left.
- Unresponsive inspector panel: The inspector panel will no longer become unresponsive after swapping a component instance.
Basic Interactions & Advanced Animations
- Issue with timing in motion editor: You will no longer encounter an issue that prevented a layer’s duration and delay settings from getting reflected accurately in the motion editor.
- Issue with interaction panel: Opening the list of triggers in the interaction panel no longer causes the position of the interaction panel to jump.
- Unwanted positioning of layers: You won’t run into the issue that caused some layers to get positioned unexpectedly after resizing or zooming the preview window.
- Issue with cursor when previewing: Using the arrow keys when previewing a prototype and trying to edit the size of a custom device using the input fields now moves your cursor as expected, instead of controlling the prototype.
- Unwanted hotspot boundary visibility: You will no longer see a brief flash of the blue hotspot boundaries on the target artboard when interacting with a prototype that uses a double-click trigger.
- Issue with viewport size: Setting a custom viewport size in the preview window will no longer automatically switch over to Auto if the height or width is larger than 1200px.
- Issue with artboard backgrounds: Publishing artboards or sending them to Freehand will now always include the artboard background.
- Issue with copy in Freehand publishing flow: You will no longer see the inaccurate copy that was in the Freehand publishing flow.
- Improved error handling and state preservation: When publishing to Freehand, you may notice the improved handling of errors and preserving states.
Studio version 0.96.1
Improvements & Bug Fixes
- Font rendering on published prototypes: You should no longer encounter the font rendering issue introduced with version 0.96.0. That issue impacted published prototypes that included non-system fonts, causing them to render incorrectly on the web.
Studio version 0.96.0
- New publishing workflow: The publish modal now includes a preview area as well as everything you need to configure the viewport, scaling, and appearance options for your prototype. You can also publish right from the preview modal now.
- New zooming option: Switching between zooming relative to the center of the canvas or the center of a selected layer is now possible.
- Override typography colors: Override typography colors on component instances
Improvements & Bug Fixes
- Masking behavior:
- Studio now uses the bottom-most layer to create the mask.
- Layers that cannot be made into a mask (e.g., images) no longer offer the mask option in the tool bar.
- Now you can create components from masked layers.
- When adding center or outside borders to component children, you should no longer experience the issue that that caused size of the master component to render incorrectly in edit mode.
- When editing a component master, you can now access export settings in the inspector.
- After renaming a component definition of a nested component, you should now be able reorder the component definition in the layers panel.
- Updating the name of a layer in a component definition should now update the layer name of its instances as expected.
- When detaching components, you should no longer see layers moving around unexpectedly, rotating incorrectly, anchoring incorrectly, or sometimes disappearing altogether.
- When creating components, the auto-layout behavior will now use offset anchoring instead of percentage-based dimensions.
- HSL color issues:
- Changing the saturation value in the HSL color picker no longer also modifies the hue.
- Nudging the HSL color input fields using the arrow keys now sets the new value as expected.
- When using the color picker, the hue slider no longer shifts slightly when adjusting the shade.
- Alignment issues:
- Text layers inside a component with anchoring overrides now animate based on the correct anchor point.
- The X and Y values fare now updated more consistently during undo and redo as well as when using the alignment options.
- Importing or pasting from Sketch:
- The issue that prevented you from pasting content from some .sketch files into Studio (even though you could import those files) has been corrected.
- Layers imported from Sketch that aren’t part a group or artboard are now imported in the correct order.
- Layers pasted into Studio from Sketch are now positioned as expected, rather than always being placed in the center of the viewport.
- Artboards pasted into Studio from Sketch are now positioned as expected.
- You may notice that we've added support for importing symbol overrides from older versions of Sketch.
- Layers imported from Sketch with an angular gradient fill, which is not supported in Studio yet, now get their default fill color from the first gradient stop.
- Artboards imported from Sketch are now using the expected active or inactive background settings.
- Importing and Exporting SVGs:
- SVG imports that have shapes with no fill defined now default to black.
- You may notice the improvements to our SVG import, including more complete support for the line element.
- Exporting to SVG now respects the setting for whether or not to include the artboard background in the export.
- Rendering issues:
- You should no longer encounter rendering errors when subtracting a rectangle at certain angles from an oval that has a border.
- Rendering has been improved for joined paths created with the pen tool and when combining shapes.
- Publishing a prototype to InVision without a device viewport set was throwing a number of errors that we've fixed with this release.
- When updating the viewport size in the app after publishing to InVision, you will now see the size updated as expected on the web.
- You'll notice improved support for publishing large Studio files to InVision.
- You should no longer encounter the issue that was preventing some shortcut keys from working (until pressing the Esc key) after dismissing the Sketch import dialog.
- You can now use Command + Option + G to create a new container from the selected objects.
- You will now see keyboard shortcuts included in tooltips wherever applicable.
- Combined shapes:
- You won't run into the issue that prevented creation of combined shapes after undoing any combined shape action on the same path.
- Performance has been improved for resizing combined shapes.
- Combined shapes that end up with no children will now get deleted as expected.
- Duplication issue: Duplicating artboards or pages no longer un-links layers connected by a Motion interaction.
- Failed interactions in preview: After deleting an artboard that has an interaction, you will no longer experience the issue that prevented subsequent interactions from getting triggered in the preview modal.
- Layout and guides:
- You can now set a total width for your layout columns.
- The input fields for layout guides and grids can no longer accept invalid or negative values.
- Columns, rows, and grids are now available when editing a component master.
- The behavior of smart guides when drawing has been improved.
- Layout settings are no longer reset after the artboard orientation is changed.
- Inserting images: You won't experience the issue that previously prevented you from inserting image layers when the layers panel has to scroll.
- Motion editor:
- Studio will now round to two decimal places for the range sliders in the motion editor (rather than using the 17 decimal places that had been unintentionally used sometimes).
- Images dragged into the motion editor no longer create new image layers in the editor.
- Layers Panel:
- The layers list no longer jumps to re-center on a selected layer.
- The hit area on certain icons in the layers panel has been expanded.
- We no longer copy the corner radius value when copying layer styles (this can be done on the canvas as well as in the layers panel).
- Tooltips position: When drawing while zoomed in on the canvas, the tooltips are now positioned correctly.
- Fonts: The list of document fonts are now updated right away, rather than not getting updated until after selecting another layer.
- Closing empty files: Studio will no longer prompt you to save when closing an empty file, including one created with a blank artboard selected from the Studio launcher.
- Updating Studio: There is a new visual indicator to let you know when an update is available.
- Learning Studio: The 'Learn Studio' link now takes you to our new learning center.
- Cursor flickering: The cursor no longer flickers slightly when hovering over certain tools.
Studio version 0.95.6
Improvements & Bug Fixes
- Opening older Studio files: Certain files created in older version of Studio were not opening properly in version 0.95.5. This release has corrected that bug, which was caused by invalid or missing data in a component instance override.
Studio version 0.95.5
Improvements & Bug Fixes
- Pasting nested components: This release correctly renders nested components that are copied and pasted.
Studio version 0.95.3
- Freehand: You can now publish your Studio artboards to Freehand for real-time collaboration and feedback. Present, draw, comment, edit, and more in Freehand.
- Auto viewport: The new Auto viewport mode lets you share more immersive and realistic prototypes.
- New motion curve options: Bounce and elastic motion curves have been added to the motion editor for quick access to more dynamic animation timing.
Improvements & Bug Fixes
- Seemingly empty files: This release fixed an issue that caused Studio files saved in the motion editor to later open using the wrong scroll position, which made the files appear to be empty.
- Improved animation support: Studio now supports animation of inner shadows, multiple shadows, borders of any type, and border fills.
- Fade In transitions: You will no longer encounter unexpected behavior when animating between artboard fills using the Fade In transition.
- Abandoned swipe gesture: Interactions and transitions now behave as expected following an abandoned swipe gesture.
- Editing X and Y values: You can now access the X and Y position for selected anchor points so you can directly edit the values in the inspector.
- Editing component definitions: Now you can edit the component definition even when you have selected a child layer within a component.
- Modifying borders of combined shapes: We improved the handling of collinear points during convex hull calculations, so Studio will no longer crash when you’re modifying the borders of a combined shape.
- Duplicating nested component instances: Studio now offers better support for duplicating or copying nested component instances, especially between pages and Studio files.
- Unintended reset of component overrides: Component overrides are no longer reset when you duplicate, copy and paste, or detach them.
- Shortcut improvement: Using Shift + Click on a component now selects the component instead of expanding it.
- Grouping and un-grouping pinned layers: Now when grouping or un-grouping your pinned layers, the layers will remain in their expected position/s.
- Offset data for text fields: You should notice improved handling of offset data for text fields created in older versions of Studio.
- Crashing when editing: We have added checks to prevent a crash when switching back and forth between editing a component definition and working in the editor.
- Component child layer visibility: All child layers of a component are now visible at all times when editing a nested component definition.
- License acknowledgement: You will now see third-party license acknowledgements in the Help menu.
- Component background handling:
- Backgrounds in a component definition that have been set to not be included in instances of that component are now appropriately ignored.
- You will no longer encounter a bug that required you to move a component instance (after opening a file) before Studio would render the component's background fill.
- Vertical scrolling with fixed layers: You may notice several improvements to vertical scrolling of fixed layers that aren’t at the top of the layers list.
- Overrides for nested components: This release solves an issue that affected nested components that had been overridden and replaced with different child component, preventing the parent component from being copied, pasted, or duplicated.
- Pasting nested components: This release also solved an issue that caused the copy and paste function to stop working when nested components were not getting properly reset after the component definitions were destroyed.
- Pasting rich text: You may notice the improved handling of copying rich text from one Studio file and pasting to another Studio file.
- Gradient fills for groups: Gradient fills can now be used on groups as expected.
- Copying text from a component name field: You can no longer encounter a crash that could previously occur when trying to copy text from the name field of a component.
- Zoom to Selection: This function now uses the actual bounds instead of the visible bounds for masked layers.
- Navigating the font selector: You may notice the improved navigation behavior of the font selector.
- Resizing layers: The latest release offers better handling of layers when resized with negative height and width values.
- Layout issues when creating components: This release resolved some unexpected layout issues when creating a component from layers pinned to top/bottom and left/right.
- Looping animation during playback: In some cases, like when the artboard was changed during playback, the preview window could get stuck in a looping animation. This issue has been solved.
- Positioning detached layers of a component: This release fixed several issues that would cause layers detached from a component to end up with unexpected positioning.
- Export options: You will no longer see export options for individual layers selected inside a component instance, because exporting those layers is not currently supported.
- SVG exports: Adding multiple SVG exports to a layer no longer increments the size, because that’s not how SVGs should work.
- Container layer icon: You will notice a new layer icon for containers, so you can tell which behavior to expect at a glance.
- Shortcut fix: Alt + Drag now works as expected for containers
- Bounding boxes: When dragging or resizing children of a component, group, or container, we now show an outline of the parent’s bounding box to provide additional context.
- Range bug: This release fixed a bug where dragging the ranges of multiple layers too far to the right would put the ranges in a very unexpected state.
- Custom device sizes in preview: This release fixed an issue that was preventing you from setting a custom device size when previewing your prototype.
- Layers list issue: When you click a layer, the layers list scrolls so it is visible—now this works for Command + Click as well as Shift + Command + Click.
- Boolean operations: These operations are now disabled when you only have one layer selected since you can’t combine a single shape.
- Page deletion improvement: When you are prompted to confirm deleting a page, we now include the name of the page being deleted.
- Menus and keyboard shortcuts: We cleaned up the menus and added a bunch of new keyboard shortcuts for navigating the layers panel, working with text layers, pinning, zooming, selection, combining shapes, alignment, and distribution.
- Accessing recent files: The ten Studio files you opened most recently are now accessible under the File menu.
- Italic font: You will see a new italic font menu item and can use the keyboard shortcut Command + I to apply italics.
- Switching tools: You can now switch to the selector tool from the pen tool by pressing V.
- Setting layer opacity: Now you can set the opacity of a layer using hotkeys even when the inspector is hidden.
- Sign Out/In menu items: The Sign Out and Sign In menu items now accurately reflect your current status.
- Creating a new page: You will now see an icon to create a new page from the layers panel.
- Efficiency improvement: Now Studio saves your most recently used interaction trigger type so you can prototype faster.
- New icons: You will see new app and file icons, and we updated the icons for layer alignment so they are easier to understand at a glance.
- Exporting background fills: The Include in Export option is now only visible if there is a background fill to include in the first place.
- Recent files in Studio launcher: We improved the empty state of the recent files list in the launcher.
- macOS close window button: This button now accurately reflects the file’s saved status.
- Studio tutorials: There are updated tutorial files to use.
Studio version 0.94.20
- Containers: Now you can set any group to behave like a container for the layers inside—making Studio's responsive design capabilities even more powerful. Think of a container as a mini-artboard within an artboard.
- Copy & Paste interactions: You can now copy and paste your interactions from the Inspector panel.
- Text formatting shortcuts: Use keyboard shortcuts to quickly reformat text. These include shortcuts for applying and removing bold font, changing font size, and text alignment.
- Decimals for corner radius: You can now use decimal values when editing the radius of a corner.
- Retained environment details: Studio will now open with the same zoom level, canvas position, and last viewed page as when you last close the app, so you can get back to work more quickly.
Improvements & Bug Fixes
- Border properties: Changing the properties of multiple borders selected at once now works as expected.
- Corner radius discrepancy: Editing a path with a single corner radius now matches the radius set in the editor.
- Scrubbing with the Rotate label: Using the scrubber for the Rotate label will now rotate groups, components, combined shapes, masks, and images as expected.
- Moving & maximizing window: The draggable area in the top bar is larger than before, so you can move or maximize your window without needing to be so precise.
- SVG exports: Images and image fills are now included when exporting an SVG.
- Inspector panel unexpectedly locking: You will no longer encounter the issue that was, in some cases, causing the Inspector to lock up when selecting the artboard layer of a component definition.
- Hidden Auto Link Layers button: The Auto Link Layers button is no longer hidden in the timeline editor when the Inspector panel is visible.
- Hidden layers panel: The bottom of the layers panel no longer gets covered up when resizing the Studio window to fit on smaller monitors.
- Boolean path operations: The boolean path operations have been disabled when an artboard is selected, because the operations are not useful in such cases.
- Combined shapes:
- The handling of combined shapes has been improved so you will no longer see that result in invalid or invisible shapes.
- There is more consistency when combining complex shapes, especially using the inverse operation.
- The combined shape operations have been disabled when open paths are selected.
- Pinned, nested groups: Ungrouping a nested group that is pinned to anything other than the top-left now works as expected.
- Scaling of nested components: Nested components where both the child and parent components are set to use percentage-based width or height now scale with the proper relative size.
- Detaching components with percentage-based width: You will no longer run into the issue that caused unexpected sizes and multiple undo steps when detaching a component with percentage-based width.
- SVG exports: The fidelity and accuracy of SVG exports has been improved.
- Zero-pixel width text areas: It is now considerably harder to accidentally draw a zero-pixel width text area.
- Swapping components: You will no longer see the issue that prevented the swapping of components after pasting or duplicating them.
- Overrides and fill colors for pasted components: You can now apply overrides and fill colors as expected to pasted components.
- Anchor point behavior: Now you can change the anchor point behavior for the starting point and ending point of open paths.
- Point and path selection: The hit area for point and path selection in the editor is bigger now.
- Editing a gradient stop: It's now easier to edit a gradient stop when zoomed in.
- Keyboard shortcuts: Studio now supports keyboard shortcuts using the extended numeric keypad.
- Scrolling through expanded components: The handling of scrolling when viewing expanded components in the layers list has been improved.
- Checking for updates: When clicking the Check for Updates option in the InVision Studio drop-down menu, you will now see whether Studio is up to date or you need to download a newer version.
- Unintentionally resetting component names: Component names no longer reset if you click the Go to Component Master checkbox.
- Copying & pasting: Now you can copy and paste within artboards when the Library panel is visible.
- Keyboard shortcuts for character spacing: These shortcuts have been updated:
- Increase character spacing: Alt + Control + L
- Decrease character spacing: Alt + Control + T