InVision Boards provide a flexible space to tell stories, share files, and collaborate with team members throughout the entire design process. See examples of how you can use Boards to:
- Quickly create a design presentation
- Collaborate on a moodboard
- Easily share your brand assets
- Create beautiful photo galleries
- and much more!
You can also view a sample board in your InVision account to get a feel for how it works on the back end.
Boards simplify the management and presentation of design assets. With support for a wide variety of file types and simple tools to organize sections of content, this allows you to spend more time making awesome work, and less time presenting it.
Viewers can both comment on items and download source files, and thanks to a fully responsive design, your team members and clients can access boards from anywhere with share links that look great on both desktop and mobile devices.
How many boards are allowed?
Free, Starter, and Educational accounts are allowed three boards. Professional, Team, and Enterprise accounts are allowed unlimited boards.
What file types are supported?
Boards support uploads for any file type, with thumbnail previews or useful icons to help quickly identify files commonly used by design teams.
- Graphics: PNGs, JPGs, GIFs, etc.
- Source Files: Photoshop, AI, Sketch – for Photoshop and Sketch files with artboards, thumbnails should pull from the first screen
- Font Files: OTF, TTF, etc. (Please ensure that your license allows for posting any font files. Also, you'll need to use a TTF file if you would like to be able to view examples of your font from within the board.)
- Color Swatches: By HEX values
- Text Documents: DOC, DOCX, etc.
- Spreadsheet Documents: XLS, XLSX, etc.
- Presentation Documents: PPT, PPTX, etc.
- Audio Files: MP3, etc.
- Video Files: AVI, MOV, etc.
- Code Files: HTML, CSS, JS, etc.
- ZIP Files
- All other non-system file types
Creating a board
To create a board in InVision Cloud V7:
- From your InVision dashboard, click the + icon on the right.
- Click Board.
- Name your board, and then choose the layout style.
Adding a photo header
To add a photo header to your board:
- Scroll to the top of your board and the header () icon.
- Upload an image via drag and drop or browse.
Note: Images must not exceed 10MB (megabytes) per file.
- Click and drag your image, adjusting placement as wanted.
- To blur your image, click the Blur option and adjust the setting with the slider.
- To darken or lighten your image, click the Overlay option and adjust the setting with the slider.
- To change the size of your photo header, click the Size options and select Small, Medium, or Full-Screen.
- To save your changes, click the checkmark button or simply click outside of the header area.
Setting a layout style
To set your board layout, click the layout () icon in the toolbar, and then click your preferred layout:
- Masonry: This collage format displays item thumbnails at their original proportions.
- Meticulous: This balanced format crops item thumbnails to fit them to regular columns, with a relaxed approach to rows.
- Grid: This structured format crops item thumbnails to fit them to regular columns and rows.
Archiving a board
To archive a board in InVision Cloud V7:
- In the main navigation area of InVision, click Documents.
Tip: To narrow your list of documents to boards only, under the pink + button, click the Boards tab.
- Hover over a board thumbnail to reveal and click the ••• (more) icon in the lower-right corner, and then click Archive.
- On the Are you sure? screen, click the Archive button.
Uploading items to a board
To upload items to a board in InVision Cloud V7:
- Drag and drop your assets into your browser, or click the message to use the file selector and upload your files.
Note: Images must not exceed 10MB (megabytes) per file.
- If you would like to upload your files to a specific section, drag your files to that section or click the + icon for that section, and then click the browse link.
Once uploaded, a tile will appear with either a thumbnail displayed for image files or a filetype icon if uploading other files like PSD or Sketch files.
Updating and replacing board items
To replace an image on your board while keeping all past comments:
- Open your board.
- Click the image you would like to update so that it opens in comment mode.
- Close out Comment Mode, and using the cursor on your computer drag a box over the image. A blue border should now appear around the image.
- On your computer, open the folder which contains the updated image.
Important: Make sure that the updated image has the same file name as the image originally upload to your InVision board. Remember, images must not exceed 10MB (megabytes) per file.
- Select the image from your computer and drag and drop the updated image on top of the original image with the blue border on your InVision board.
- Wait a few seconds, and you should see the updated image appear.
Please note that once you replace an image, you will not be able to undo and go back to the original image.
Creating and organizing sections
To create and organize sections in your board:
- Hover and click above or between sections, and click the + button to create a new section title.
- Add a title and/or description, if desired.
Pro Tip: Use a description without a title to include an extra dividing line, perfect for visually sub-dividing your sections in share links.
- Use the up and down arrows to reorganize your sections as desired.
Hover over an item and use the Set Item Size options to resize to 1, 2, 3, or 4 columns.
Adding a color swatch
To add a color swatch to your board:
- Use the + button to add a swatch to your board, or hover over a section and use the + button to add a swatch to that section.
- Type in the HEX value of your swatch color.
- Click the title of your new swatch to update as desired.
To add a color pulled from a board image:
- Click the board item image.
- Hover over the bar of colors above the comment area.
- Click the + plus icon to add color swatches to your board.
Adding a note
To add a note to your board:
- Use the + button to add a note to your board.
- Fill in your note title, content body, and a description.
- If desired, use the formatting tools to structure your note content.
Selecting and organizing items
To select and arrange items on your board:
- Simply click and drag to select multiple items, or hold Ctrl/Cmd or Shift to reveal the selection toolbar and to select ranges of items on your board.
- Click and drag items to move them to a new section, or use the section move tool to send all selected items to a specific section.
- Click and drag a single item at a time to move within the layout as desired.
Sharing your board and board items
You can share your board as well as specific items on the board by clicking the Share button in the upper-right corner. If sharing the entire board, visitors will be able to view and comment on all items on the board. If sharing a specific item, they'll only be able to view and comment on that specific item.
To add collaborators, click the Share button at the top right of your board. A dialog will open that lets you add collaborators to the board.
To remove collaborators:
- Open your board and click Share at the top right.
- Use the drop-down menu next to the name of the collaborator you’d like to delete, and click Remove.
When you remove a collaborator from a board (or remove them completely from an account), their comments remain on the board.
Adding an annotation to your comment
Annotations work similarly to how comments in prototypes behave today. An annotation is a bubble that draws attention to a particular part of the image. To add an annotation to an image in your board:
- Open the image you'd like to comment on.
- Enter the text of your comment.
- Click the bullseye icon.
- Click the image and position your annotation bubble.
- Click Post Comment to add the annotation and comment.
Note: If logged out of your InVision account or you do not have an account, InVision authenticates your comment by asking for your name and email address:
If your email address is not associated with an InVision account, your comment will not post to the board. If your email address is associated with an InVision account, a prompt to enter your password appears:
Once you've entered the correct password, future comments will post to the board.