Freehand in InVision lets you rapidly capture feedback throughout the product design process in a real-time, flexible, and collaborative way. You spend less time exporting work into presentable formats and more time creating meaningful experiences for users in collaboration with your team. Like prototypes and boards, Freehand lets anyone on your team join, from anywhere, on any device to weigh in on your concepts and designs.
Creating a Freehand document
To create a freehand in InVision Cloud V7:
- Sign in to your InVision account.
- Click the pink + button, and then click Freehand.
- In the Create new freehand dialog, enter a name, and then click the Create button.
Using your Freehand tools
At the top of the browser window, you'll notice the Freehand toolbar. The following is list of those tools and their functions.
|V or 1||
The pointer tool lets you choose any number of shapes or objects to move by dragging and dropping on the freehand canvas. Any object or group of objects selected can be scaled up or down.
|P or 2||
The pencil tool lets you draw on your canvas. Hovering over the pencil tool while it's selected will display 3 different opacity options (). Click your desired opacity to begin drawing.
Hold down the Option key while you draw to have Freehand assist you in creating neat circles or squares. To draw straight lines, hold Shift while you click and drag (if using a Windows machine, hold Alt instead).
On mobile, create a clean square, circle, and line by holding your finger/stylus for 2 seconds after you’ve finished drawing the rough shape. After 2 seconds, you should see the shape turn into a clean shape.
|T or 3||
The text tool allows you to enter text on your canvas. Once you select the text tool, click anywhere on your canvas and begin typing. Switch to the pointer tool to resize your text or drag it to a different point on the canvas. Use the text tool to leave feedback on individual screens, flows, or specific features. Pressing Shift + Enter creates a line break.
|S or 4||
Use the shape tool to quickly draw basic shapes. Hover over the shape tool to pick the rectangle, oval, or straight line. To create a perfect square, circle, or angled line, hold Shift while using the shape tool.
|I or 5||
The image tool lets you upload images directly to the canvas. Once you upload an image, switch to the pointer tool to resize your image or drag it to a different point on the canvas.
To navigate through your freehand, place two fingers on your trackpad. Alternatively, hold the Spacebar while you click and drag.
Additional Freehand tools can be found by clicking the ••• (more) icon. You will then see a drop-down menu with the following options:
- Clear my drawings: Clear all sketches you’ve drawn with the pencil tool.
- Clear everything: Clear your entire freehand project.
- Create new Freehand: Create a new freehand project.
To the right of the ••• (more) icon is the change color icon (). Click this icon to choose a different drawing color.
Using your Freehand keyboard shortcuts
At the bottom right of your freehand project, you'll notice a keyboard icon (). To expand a list of shortcut keys for Freehand, click the icon.
Getting help with Freehand
Located in the bottom-right corner of your freehand is a help icon (). Click the icon to reveal a few different options:
- Review the tutorial: Test drive Freehand via an interactive tutorial.
- Review the Freehand Guide: Watch an introductory video or read up on using Freehand.
- See what's new: Check out the latest release notes for Freehand.
- Send feedback: Reach out to us directly with any feedback for Freehand.
Renaming a freehand
To rename a freehand:
- Open the freehand.
- In the upper-left corner, hover over the current name until the mouse pointer changes to a cursor, and click the name.
- Edit the name, and then press Enter.
Exiting a freehand
To exit your freehand and return to all your documents, navigate to the top-left corner and click the InVision () icon. Any changes you made to your freehand will save automatically.
Sharing a freehand
Inviting others to join your freehand takes just a moment, and there are two ways to share:
- Add people to your freehand
- Share a document link to the freehand
To add people to a document:
- With the document open, in the upper-right corner, click the green Share button.
- In the To: field, enter the name of the person you want to add to the document.
Note: As you type, you will see people on your team who match the characters you enter. If you want to add someone who is not yet a member of your team, enter his or her email address.
- To the right of the To: field, click the drop-down and set to Can edit or Can view.
- Click the Invite button.
Share a document link
Document links are the main URLs for prototypes, boards, and freehands.
To share a document link to your freehand:
- On the Documents tab in InVision, hover over the freehand thumbnail to reveal and click the ••• (more) button in the lower-right corner.
- Click Share.
- To the right of the link icon (), click Settings.
- Under Who can Open this Document?, choose 1 of 3 options:
- Anyone with the link
- Members of your team with the link
- People invited
- Under What can they do?, choose between:
- Edit, draw and view
- View only
- When you're finished, click Save.
- To the left of the Settings link, click Copy Link, which will copy the document link to your clipboard.
You can now send that link to the people you want to join your freehand.
Presenting a freehand
Presenting a freehand allows others to see the project from your perspective. If you are presenting, anyone currently viewing the freehand will follow the actions you take.
To start presenting, go to the top of the page and click the present icon (). To stop presenting, click the stop icon ().
You can independently follow a specific collaborator's actions by navigating to the top-right corner of the page and clicking their avatar. To stop following a collaborator, click their avatar again. Click the present icon to take over as presenter at any time.
Using Freehand on tablets and mobile devices
Additional Freehand Functionality
To make your collaboration process as seamless and simple as possible, the following additional functionality is available in Freehand:
- Undo/redo: Go back and forward with changes as many times as you need to. Your whole history is recorded in Freehand. To undo, use the shortcut Command + Z. To redo, use Shift + Command + Z.
- Follow presenter and present mode: Invite other collaborators to your Freehand project, and then click on an avatar to have your screen follow their actions. Click the Play icon to the left of the avatars to take over as presenter anytime.
Stay up to date on the most recent Freehand enhancements by following our Freehand Release Notes.