By connecting InVision Cloud V7 with Jira, we’re closing the gap between design and engineering, making it easier to work together. With this integration, designers save time by keeping just the prototype up to date—instead of the prototype, Jira issue, and screens. Engineers stay current with the latest designs, leaving more time to iterate on the important things that make your product successful.
Integrate InVision and Jira by pairing an InVision prototype with a Jira issue. Once a prototype is attached, a Jira issue will display a visual preview of the prototype. From here, you’ll be able to view, comment, and access Inspect for your prototype.
The InVision for Jira integration is available as add-on for both Jira Cloud and and Jira Server. In Jira Server, the add-on works in all Atlassian supported major versions of Jira (two years after the first major iteration of that version was released e.g. Jira Core 7.0.x for 2 years after Jira 7.0.0 was released).
Installing the integration
You must have Jira admin privileges to install the add-on.
To install the integration in your instance of Jira:
- From your Jira dashboard, click the cogwheel at the top right.
- Click Add-ons to visit the Atlassian plugin marketplace.
- In the search bar, enter "InVision."
Alternatively, you can view and install the InVision app in the Atlassian Marketplace.
- Click the green Try it free button (which will install the add-on).
Choosing projects the integration appears in
You can now choose which projects the InVision Jira plugin gets added into. To configure that:
- Within the "Administration" page, select Add-Ons then Manage Add-ons.
- Select the "InVision for Jira" add-on.
- Click Configure.
- Enable the Limit to Projects option and select the projects you want to make the add-on available within
Note: You cannot yet filter based on issue type or other conditions.
Attaching your prototype
To attach your prototype with your Jira issue:
- Go to your InVision prototype and create a public share URL.
- Go to your Jira issue and enter the URL in the integration section under the Description section.
- Click Attach prototype. A preview of your prototype will appear.
Note: If you see the following error message, it's likely due to a permissions issue: "Dang it! There was a problem with that URL. Please input a prototype's share URL." Here's how to fix it.
Once your prototype is paired, you’ll be able to see a prototype preview as well as some additional information about your prototype, as seen in the example below. The public link is dynamic, so anytime you make changes to the prototype in InVision, they’ll be reflected in the Jira issue.
Clicking the Preview button will open your prototype in InVision. If you click the Comment button, your prototype will open in a new tab or window in Comment mode. Click the Inspect button to open your prototype in Inspect mode in InVision. Clicking the thumbnail preview will open the public link in a new browser tab, so people who do not have access to InVision can still view the prototype.
There are currently a few known limitations for our Jira add-on:
- We currently do not support the add-on for Jira Server instances configured with a proxy.
- The Jira Server add-on requires internet access to reach InVision servers.
- For optimum performance, Jira Servers should have SSL configured.
- InVision Studio is not yet integrated with this add-on.