Administrators of organizations can restrict their users’ ability to update the Craft Manager application and tools. This feature is designed to allow organizations that require manual review of software updates to have the time to review updates rather than applying them automatically.
Though it’s possible to disable auto-updates, please note that only the last two versions of Craft are supported and InVision deploys updates often. If your organization disables auto updates and encounters a serious bug, you will be required to update to the latest version to resolve that bug.
To distribute Craft Manager, an admin will need to install Craft Manager, its supporting files, and its plugins to specific locations on each user's machine.
Cleaning the admin machine
Before starting this process, ensure that your machine does not have a previous version of Craft Manager installed. If Craft Manager was already installed, following these steps will delete the app from your computer and uninstall any related plugins:
- Open Craft Manager.
- Use the keyboard shortcut Command+Shift+B.
- In the text field that appears, type
- Click Activate code.
Preparing Craft Manager
As an Enterprise admin, you can copy the supporting files needed to distribute Craft Manager:
- Download and install the latest version of Craft Manager.
- Open Craft Manager and allow it to be moved to your Applications folder.
- In the Mac menu bar, click the Craft Manager icon.
- Navigate through the initial Welcome screens.
- Install the plugin platforms that need to be distributed.
- Enable and disable specific plugins that need to be distributed.
- Ensure that no user is currently signed in.
After completing the steps above, the required files are installed on your computer, and you're ready to distribute them.
Once you have installed Craft Manager and its plugins, as an Enterprise admin, you can now copy the dependant files and folders. These same files and folders will need to be re-installed onto each destination machine. Once the files and folders listed below are installed, run the following command on each destination machine:
defaults write com.invisionlabs.CraftManager CraftIgnoreUpdates
Craft Manager required files and folders
Here are the locations of the files and folders required for Craft Manager:
- ~/Library/Application Support/CraftManager
Sketch required files and folders
Here are the locations of the files and folders required for the Sketch plugins:
- ~/Library/Application Support/com.bohemiancoding.sketch3/Panels
- ~/Library/Application Support/com.bohemiancoding.sketch3/Plugins/InVisionDesignSystems.sketchplugin
- ~/Library/Application Support/com.bohemiancoding.sketch3/Plugins/Panels.sketchplugin
Photoshop required files and folders
Here are the locations of the files and folders required for the Photoshop plugins:
- ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/com.invisionlabs.craft.invisib
- ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/com.invisionlabs.sync
- ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/com.invisionlabs.freehand
- ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/com.invisionlabs.getty
- ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/com.invisionlabs.duplicate
- ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/com.invisionlabs.data
$PHOTOSHOP indicates the current installation of Photoshop.
After installing the distribution files and folder, remember that you also need to run the following command in terminal:
defaults write com.invisionlabs.CraftManager CraftIgnoreUpdates -bool YES
Disabling auto updates
The method for disabling auto-updates involves modifying the
.plist files associated with Craft Manager. For this reason, this step should only be taken by an experienced administrator.
There are two files that need to be modified (
com.bohemiancoding.sketch3.plist) and these files can be found in ~/Library/Preferences/ on a typical macOS installation.
Configuring the com.invisionlabs.CraftManager.plist file
com.invisionlabs.CraftManager.plist file can be configured with the key
When that key is set to Yes:
- The Automatically update Craft preference option is hidden.
- The Check for updates preferences link is hidden.
- User prompts to check for updates in dialogs are hidden.
- Timed update checks are disabled.
- Autoupdate and autodownloads are disabled.
- The option for users to manually uninstall tools is disabled.
Configuring the com.bohemiancoding.sketch3.plist file
com.bohemiancoding.sketch3.plist file can be configured with the key
When that key is set to Yes, Craft Manager will not display the blue dots that you would normally see next to individual Craft tools to indicate there is a new update available.