The Craft Freehand plugin lets you rapidly capture feedback throughout the product design process. Create a freehand project directly from your design file, and then share that freehand with others to begin collaborating in real-time.
Note: If using Photoshop, check out the article Craft Freehand for Photoshop.
Installing the Craft Freehand plugin
If you don’t yet have Craft, you’ll need to install Craft to get access to Freehand and our other plugins.
Alternatively, you can create a Freehand directly from your InVision account by creating a new project and then selecting Freehand as the type.
Creating a Freehand project
To start using Freehand:
- Open your Sketch file, then click the Freehand icon () in your Craft toolbar.
- Click Sign in to InVision. A Craft Manager pop up will open and prompt you to sign in with your InVision credentials.
- If you have basic authentication enabled, you can enter your username and password just like you would on the web. Enter your email address and password, and then click Sign In.
- If your team has SSO enabled, select Or sign in with Enterprise to be prompted to enter your team domain. Upon entering your team domain, you will taken to your SSO provider of choice.
Alternatively, sign in to an Enterprise account by clicking Enterprise to the left of the Sign In button; then enter your domain name; then sign in with your credentials.
- If you’re only a part of one team, you can move to the next step.
If you have more than one team, then after entering your credentials, you’ll be asked to pick one of your teams to sign in to. This is so we can give you access to your team's documents and ensure we are publishing to the right team.
- Click Add to Freehand to add new artboards to an existing Freehand project, or Create New Freehand to add artboards to a new Freehand project. All your artboards/layers will be mirrored in Freehand in your browser, exactly as they appear in Sketch.
- When creating a new Freehand, add the new project name in the “Freehand Name” box and select the account you would like to add it to from the drop down menu. Then click Create Freehand. When using a previously created Freehand, select which Freehand you’d like to send your screens to by choosing your prototype from the list, or use the search field to find it by name.
- Get started! Zoom, scale, draw, comment, swipe, erase, shift, add, etc. See below for more details on Freehand functionality.
You’ll see the Freehand toolbar at the top of your browser window:
|The Selector tool lets you choose any amount of shapes or objects to move by dragging and dropping on the Freehand canvas. Any object or group of objects selected can be scaled up or down.|
The pencil tool lets you draw on your canvas. Hovering over the pencil tool will display three different opacity options (). Click your desired opacity to begin drawing.
Hold down the Option key while you draw to have Freehand assist you in creating neat circles or squares. Holding shift + clicking to start/end of the line creates any-angle diagonal lines.
|The Text tool allows you to enter text on your canvas. Once you select the Text tool, click anywhere on your canvas and begin typing. Switch to the Selector tool to resize your text or drag it to a different point on the canvas. Use the text tool to leave feedback on individual screens, flows, or specific features. Pressing Shift + Enter creates a line break.|
|The Image tool lets you upload images directly to the canvas. Once you upload an image, switch to the Selector tool to resize your image or drag it to a different point on the canvas.|
|The Eraser tool lets you hover over drawings you’ve created. Once you hover over a drawing, Freehand will highlight the drawing; clicking the highlighted drawing will delete it.|
The ••• menu presents you with the following additional options:
|The avatars at the top right of your Freehand page will show you who is collaborating on your Freehand project.|
|Share button generates a link you can copy to invite others to join your Freehand project to collaborate.|
Freehand keyboard shortcuts
The Freehand tools at the bottom of your Freehand project include a Zoom tool and a keyboard icon:
Clicking the keyboard icon expands a shortcut key that will help you save time and effort while using the tools listed above.
Additional Freehand functionality
The following additional functionality is available in Freehand in order to make your collaboration process as seamless and simple as possible:
- Undo/redo: Go back and forward with changes as many times as you need to- your whole history is recorded in Freehand.
- Follow presenter: Invite other collaborators to your Freehand project, then click on an avatar to have your screen follow their actions.
- Real-time updates: Make updates in your Sketch file, then click Update Freehand in your Freehand plugin; your newly updated design will appear in your Freehand browser window.
- Accessing saved Freehand projects: The link to your Freehand project is stored in your Sketch file:
Stay up to date on the most recent Freehand enhancements by following our Freehand Release Notes.