- 08 May 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
Attach InVision prototypes and freehands to Jira Server and Data Center
- Updated on 08 May 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
With InVision for Jira Server and Data Center, you can preview, comment on, and inspect prototypes and freehands—all without ever leaving Jira. InVision for Jira works for all major versions of Jira that Atlassian supports.
Install the InVision app in Jira
First you'll install the InVision for Jira app in your Jira instance.
- Go to the Atlassian Marketplace.
- Search for InVision for Jira and install it.
For more information, read Atlassian's documentation on installing marketplace apps.
Configure the InVision app in Jira
You can control which Jira projects can use the InVision app.
- At the top right of your Jira homepage, select your profile icon, and then select Atlassian Marketplace.
- In the left-hand navigation, select Manage apps.
- Expand the InVision for Jira app and select Configure.
- Check the box Limit to Projects, and then select the projects where you want to use InVision.
- Select Save.
Attach a prototype or freehand
You can attach any number of public prototypes and Freehand documents to Jira issues.
- Open your prototype or freehand in InVision and create a public share link.
The steps to create the share URL will depend on the version of InVision you're using. Not sure which version you're using? Find out here.
- Navigate to your Jira issue and, under the InVision section, paste the share URL.
- Select Attach.
An interactive preview of your prototype or freehand appears.
Interact with a freehand
After you attach a freehand, a thumbnail image appears on the issue. Any changes made to the freehand in Jira automatically appear in InVision; any changes made in InVision appear in Jira.
Select the freehand thumbnail to open the freehand. All the normal Freehand tools work, allowing you to collaborate or ideate on the fly without leaving Jira.
Interact with a prototype
After you attach a prototype, a thumbnail image appears. Any time you make changes to the prototype in InVision, the changes will appear in Jira.
To preview all screens in the prototype, select the thumbnail image. Alternately, navigate to the top right of the image and select the expand button (). If you want to comment on or inspect the prototype, you will need to be signed in to your InVision account. The sign-in modal will appear as a separate pop-up window, so please ensure that pop-ups are allowed. To preview without commenting or inspecting capabilities, select Continue as guest.
To close the prototype, navigate to the top right and select the
If you are unfamiliar with Inspect or commenting features with InVision Cloud, check out these articles:
Remove a prototype or freehand
To remove a prototype or freehand from your Jira issue, navigate to the top right of the thumbnail, and select the disconnect button ().
There are currently a few known limitations for the InVision for Jira Server and Data Center apps:
- The app requires internet access to reach InVision servers.
- For optimum performance, Jira Server and Data Center should have SSL configured.